You might find the DIY attitude extending to your roof, and you should keep in mind that there are pros and cons to fixing your own roof.
Pros of Fixing Your Own Roof
- Save Money: Since you won’t have to pay for labor, you can save a big chunk of the cost associated with roof repair.
- Have Fun: The physical labor might not be fun, per se, but the feeling you get from completing the project? That’s a great feeling.
- Help is Everywhere: Like we mentioned above, it’s easy to find tutorials and step-by-step guides on how to do projects like this.
Cons of Fixing Your Own Roof
- Danger: Not to be dramatic, but any time you get up on a roof, there’s a risk of falling off. If that’s not a risk you want to take, you’re better off hiring a roofer.
- Time Commitment: Assuming you’ve never fixed a roof before, you’ll have to brush up on how to do it, then actually do it, both of which could take quite a bit of time. If you have a lot of time on your hands, this might be okay, but if you’re already juggling work, family, and other activities, it’s simpler to hire a professional.
- Hidden Costs: You might save on labor costs by doing it yourself, but you’ve still got to buy materials and tools–which might include tools you’ll never use again. In addition, you run the risk of not fixing the roof properly, in which case you’ll have to hire a professional anyway. There’s no guarantee on your own work, but a professional roofer will usually offer a warranty. Don’t underestimate the cost of the mental stress you’ll put yourself through if the DIY project doesn’t go as planned.
You have to weigh the pros and cons for your particular situation. If it’s a small fix, you already own the tools, you have some construction experience, and you have free time, it might be worth doing it yourself. Otherwise, you’ll rest easier when you hire a local roofing company with years of experience.
When it comes to your roof, there’s a little more at stake than when you’re completing a DIY wreath for the front door or even new kitchen tile. If the cons to fixing your own roof seem like more than you want to take on, contact Scro’s Roofing. We’ll be happy to DIO (do it ourselves) and save you the trouble.