As a homeowner, it’s important to regularly inspect your roof for damage. High winds, heavy rains, and hail can absolutely wreck your roof. Therefore, it’s wise to be on the lookout for any signs of damage after a storm. If you think your roof may be in trouble, read on to discover some common signs of storm damage to look out for.
1. Missing or Damaged Shingles
One of the most common signs of roof damage is missing or damaged shingles. If you notice any bald spots on your roof where shingles once were, that’s a sign your roof has been damaged and needs to be repaired or replaced. In addition, if you see cracked, loose, or broken shingles, that’s an indication that your roof has sustained damage and requires fixing. The most common causes of missing or damaged shingles include:
- High winds: Strong winds can lift shingles off of your roof, leaving bald spots where the shingles are missing. In addition, wind damage can also cause shingles to crack, break, or become loose.
- Hail: Hailstones can dent shingles, causing them to crack, break, or become loose.
- Tree limbs: If a tree limb falls on your roof, it can damage shingles, also causing them to crack, break, or become loose.
2. Gutters Full of Debris
Another sign that your roof is damaged is if you notice that gutters are full of debris, like leaves and twigs. This is usually an indication that shingles have come loose and are now clogging up your gutters. Furthermore, if you notice cracks or breaks in your gutters, that’s another one of the signs of storm damage. To verify that shingles are the cause of your clogged gutters, you can do the following:
- Inspect your roof: Take a look at your roof to see if there are bald spots or missing shingles. If you see any, that’ll let you know that shingles have fallen and are now clogging up your gutters.
- Check your gutters: Take a look at your gutters to see if there are cracks or breaks. If you notice them, that’s a telltale sign that shingles have come loose and are now causing problems.
- Call a professional: If you’re not sure whether your gutters are full of debris because of storm damage, it’s best to call Scro’s Roofing for help. We can inspect your roof and gutters to determine the cause of the problem and recommend the best course of action.
3. Shingle Granules in Gutters
In addition to full gutters, another indicator that your roof has experienced roof storm damage is if you notice shingle granules in your gutters. Shingle granules are the small pieces of asphalt that make up the top layer of shingles and give them their color. If you see these granules in your gutters, that’ll let you know that your shingles are breaking down, and you must contact a professional roofing contractor.
Going through the process of fixing a damaged roof is a headache, and it’s expensive. Not to mention, the insurance company isn’t always compliant. But at Scro’s Roofing, we’re willing to help with that. We’ve assisted thousands of homeowners in Raleigh, NC, with filing insurance claims for roof repair. So, if you’re worried about how you’re going to get your roof damage fixed, don’t be. We’ve got you covered!
4. Leaks in the Attic
If you have an attic, one way to check for leaks is to go into the attic after it rains and see if there are any puddles of water on the floor. If you see water seeping through the ceiling, that’s an indication that your roof has sustained damage and needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Even if you don’t see any water in your attic, it’s still a good idea to check for leaks by looking for dark spots on the ceiling—which is also an indicator of water damage.
It’s imperative that you fix leaks in the attic because they could lead to issues, such as:
- Dangerous Mold: If water is seeping through the ceiling, it’s likely that mold will start to grow. Not only is mold unsightly, but it can also be harmful to your health.
- Structural Damage: If water is left unchecked, it can cause the wood in your attic to rot, which weakens the structure of your home.
- Increased Energy Bills: If your attic is leaky, warm air will escape through the holes, and cool air will seep in. This will cause your HVAC system to work overtime, increasing your energy bills.
5. A Crooked Chimney
If your chimney is leaning to one side or appears to be separating from your roof, that’s an obvious sign that it’s been damaged and requires repair. A crooked chimney is not only unsightly, but it’s also a safety hazard. If left unrepaired, a damaged chimney could collapse, potentially causing serious injury. If you notice that your chimney is damaged, you’ll want to get roof repair right away.
6. Ice Dam Formations
The winter is rough on roofs, and one of the major signs of storm damage is the formation of ice dams. Ice dams form when the heat from your home melts the snow on your roof. The water then runs down to the edge of your roof and freezes again. This process repeats itself, and over time, ice dams can cause serious damage to your roof. Ice dams can do the following:
- Damage shingles: The weight of the ice puts a lot of stress on your shingles, which can cause them to break or crack.
- Create leaks: As the ice dam grows, it can start to push up your shingles, creating gaps. These gaps allow water to seep into your home and eventually lead to leaks.
- Cause mold and mildew: If water is leaking into your home, it’s the perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew growth.
Call Us for Your Roof Repairs Today!
If you notice any of these signs of storm damage, it’s vital to take action and contact Scro’s Roofing Company. We have years of experience providing roof inspections and repairs in the Raleigh, NC, area. Plus, we can help you file an insurance claim and get your repairs covered by your insurance provider.So, don’t wait until it’s too late. Reach us by calling 919-461-0937, or contact us online today!