You might not give much thought to your home’s roof — until a problem occurs like a leak, damaged or missing shingles or the appearance of asphalt granules in your gutter system. These are all signs that it’s time for a new roof. A severe storm that causes major damage creates a more immediate need for a roof replacement.
If you live in Raleigh or anywhere in the Triangle and need a house roof replacement, contact the roofing professionals at Scro’s Roofing right away. We’ll come to your home to perform a free inspection to determine your roof’s condition and assess the level of any damage. We’ll then provide a roof replacement estimate so you’ll know how much your upgrade will cost. Our transparent pricing eliminates concerns about hidden fees or add-on costs that are common with other roof replacement companies.
If you’re building your dream home or adding on to an existing residence, we can provide an estimate for the cost of a newly installed roof. We work with the top homebuilders in the area to coordinate the roof installation process and ensure the best results for the project.
At this time we only install asphalt shingle roofs and residential flat roofing. We focus on shingle roofs because of the many benefits they offer to homeowners, including:
- Flexibility to create multiple angles, shapes and forms to fit any roof design and construction
- Numerous design varieties and architectural styles to suit any homeowner preferences
- Various color options to blend seamlessly with the home’s exterior and maximize its curb appeal
- The ideal combination of excellent quality and affordable pricing ensures a cost-effective long-term roofing solution
- Energy-efficient roofing option — light, medium and dark shades are available to generate the appropriate cooling effect
- Fast, easy installation saves time and contributes to lower roof replacement costs
- Soundproofing qualities to keep out exterior noise and help create a quieter home environment
- Affordable repairs — it’s often possible to replace missing or curled shingles instead of the entire roof
- Easy integration with other roof features like chimneys, dormers and skylights
- Many asphalt shingles these days consist of recyclable materials — their disposal won’t contribute to the clogging of landfills
When you contact us, we schedule a time for our estimator to come out and give you a free onsite estimate and consultation. Since no two roofs are alike, we personally measure each one before preparing a custom estimate. Our standard replacement estimate includes removing the roof down to the deck, replacing any rotten roof decking if needed at an additional cost, installing underlayment and shingles. We also replace all chimney step flashing and counter flashing on (Brick Chimneys Only), pipe boot flashings, and box vents. If your home has ridge vent we replace it; if not we can install it and refer a contractor to install your soffit vents if needed. We also generally replace skylights – see the “Skylight Installation” section for additional details.
Once you make your decision to hire us and sign our proposal or notify us by email, we provide our “roofing information” sheet to help you prepare for the roofing process, and we’ll give you a approximate timeframe for scheduling. Then you will select a shingle color and style. We encourage you to visit addresses of roofs we’ve completed to see what the color actually looks like, plus we can provide samples as well. After shingle selection, we schedule the job for a mutually agreeable timeframe. If you have a specific date request, we make every effort to meet that date, weather permitting.
Once the work has been completed, we perform a final inspection before receiving your payment. Part of our service is meticulous ground clean-up – we understand the value of your property and therefore strive to leave your yard as we found it.
New Roof FAQs
How do I know if I need a roof repair or a new roof?
- One factor is the age of your roof. If your roof is less than 10 years old, most likely you don’t need a new roof yet.
- Excessive signs of wear may also indicate it’s time for a new roof. Please check our discussion below on “Three Common Indicators of a Worn Out Roof”.
- Other than the age or excessive wear, an onsite inspection of your roof by a qualified and trustworthy roofing professional is the best way to know for sure, especially if you’ve had repeated problems with a leaking roof. Please refer to our Roof Inspection section for additional information.
Do the black streaks and stains on my roof mean it’s time to replace it?
- No, the growth of brown or black algae on your asphalt shingles will not hurt your shingle’s performance. It doesn’t look very good but it will not affect the shingle surface. Removing the algae is optional and can be done using a bleach and TSP solution, but it must be done carefully to avoid damaging the roof and the plants surrounding your home. For example, never use a power washer on your roof surface!
Can I have a second layer of shingles installed over my current roof?
- Technically, yes. But Scro’s Roofing does not perform a “roof over” installation. The primary reason is that without removing the old roof and inspecting the roof deck and flashings, we can’t replace rotten wood or damaged flashing. Therefore we can’t ensure a quality installation per our standards.
If I tell you square footage of my home, can you give me a ball-park estimate?
- No, all of our estimates are custom. And since they are free, please call us and we’d be glad to come out and give you a price.
Does it matter what type of shingle I select?
- No. What matters most is the installation of your roof no matter what materials you select. Many roof repairs and expensive maintenance are due to improper roof installation. Careful selection of a quality roofing professional will help ensure your roof will perform well without problems.
How do I find and select a quality roofing professional?
- First and foremost, ask questions!! A good roofing contractor will be able to answer your questions in a way that you can understand, or find the information if they don’t know the answer.
- Check references. Make sure the references include recent work.
- Check the BBB to see if complaints have been filed. Make sure your roofing contractor has longevity in business, good reviews online, and satisfied customers.
- When evaluating your proposal, remember that lowest price is not always best value. Yes, price is an important consideration. But be sure to evaluate the roofing contractor themselves as well as comparing the details of what they say they’ll do.
Three Common Indicators of a Worn Out Roof
- Shingle condition: Missing, Curling, Blistering, or Cracked Shingles – On a new roof, asphalt based shingles have a granular covering to protect the tar surface and give the shingle its attractive appearance. And there is a tar seal at the edge of the shingles that prevents wind from lifting them up and blowing them off. Over time, the granular surface of the asphalt shingle loosens and wears off, and the tar strip starts to lose its seal. If you see an excessive amount of granules iold-roof-framen your gutters, or you start to lose shingles during storms, check your shingles to see if you notice any cracking, curling, or blistering. An excessive amount of any of these conditions may mean your roof cannot be repaired and therefore needs to be replaced.
- Flashing and Caulking Damage – Most flashing products are made of aluminum, copper or galvanized. Caulking is installed around the edge of the flashing to seal the flashing to the brick or siding. Most flashing problems are repairable by either re-caulking or replacing the flashing. But again, if the shingles around the flashing are too old and brittle for a repair, it is time for a new roof.
- Roof Buckling or Warped Appearance – Rotten Roof Decking – About 50% of all asphalt shingle roofs that we replace each year have some sort of rotting or water damaged wood underneath the surface. This is often because leaks are not repaired while they are minor. A small leak can cause a great amount of slow damage over time, and is often not noticed until damage is seen inside the home. By that time the roof deck may be rotten and give a warped or buckled appearance, and one or more sections may need to be replaced. Excessive areas of rotten wood could mean a new roof is needed.
NOTE: Manufactures: CertainTeed Horizon & Atlas Chalet shingle products
- These two manufactures of asphalt shingles are VERY common on the homes of Raleigh, North Carolina and surrounding areas. We see thousands of these roofs needing to be replaced anywhere between 10 and 18 years into it’s life. They both have had class action law suites that have now been settled and closed. If you have any questions and would like our professional opinion about your roof, call our office at (919) 461-0937.
Why Partner With Us for Residential Roof Replacement?
Many factors separate Scro’s Roofing from the other roof replacement contractors near you. First, the thoroughness of our installation process prevents mistakes that can reduce the quality of your new roof and eliminates the need for costly “do-overs” down the road. Our goal is to do the job right the first time — every time.
You can also trust our experience. Scro’s Roofing is a family-owned company that has been around since 1995. During our 25 years in business, we’ve earned a stellar reputation throughout the Triangle for performing top-notch house roof replacement work at fair prices and delivering exceptional customer service from start to finish.
We’re a proud GAF Master Elite® Company, a roofing industry certification that ensures you’re working with a high-quality, professional contractor. Less than 2% of the roofing companies in the U.S. have earned this distinction!